Friday, January 8, 2016

The Sound of Music, Vintage style...

I'm taking a cue from my favorite movie for this post and sharing "My Favorite Things". If you've ever seen "The Sound of Music", you know that Maria sings this song to the Von Trapp children at the beginning of her time as their governess.  It's one of my favorite scenes and one of my favorite songs from the movie (the hubs can tell you all about that as he heard it sang at the top of my lungs just recently:-). Anyway, part of our journey to "greenness" is our love of vintage, antique, and plain ol' old stuff. Several of you noticed and commented on my vintage kitchenware in previous posts, so I've chosen a few of my favorites to share close up. 

The first ones I want to share were a gift from my sweet husband.  He purchased them on one of his many outings to antique and junk places. They are cut glass salt and pepper shakers labeled "made in occupied Japan". It's the first vintage surprise he ever bought me (there have been may since). 




Next, are my ever trusty bowls. They are great for soup or cereal. Originally, they were each part of a mixing bowl set, but, when I rescued them were just lonely single bowls sitting there waiting to be taken home by me (for real:-).




My next set (there are actually 5--3 are white with aqua print) was started with the one on the bottom. It was a birthday present from my Mom and had been a gift at my parents' wedding. 




These cuties are salt and pepper shakers. They were made by the Federal Practical Housewares company in Chicago, Illinois. We procured these after having previously starting a collection of condiment jars.  My last favorite things are those condiment jars. They are shown in the picture following the salt and pepper shakers. 






My favorite things may not be the ones Maria sang about in "The Sound of Music", but I still had fun sharing them with you. Feel free to shout out some of your favorite things in the comments:-)

Cheers,
LaDonna



No comments:

Post a Comment